Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Is Spirituality a Scapegoat








"We learn[ed] that spirituality is no substitute for Christian faith.
Churches were filled to capacity in the weeks following September 11.
Some observers predicted a period of national revival and openess to the gospel.
That did not happen. Within just a few months, church attendance had fallen to pre 9/11 levels.
The national trauma produces flutterings of spirituality but little evidence of renewed Christian conviction.
Spirituality is what is left when authentic Christianity is evacuated from the public square.
It is the refuge of the faithless seeking the trappings of faith without the demands of revealed truth. Spirituality affirms us in our self-centeredness and soothingly tells us all is well.
Authentic faith in Christ calls us out of ourselves, points us to the Cross, and summons us to follow Christ."

My o my, clear incisive insight to the way things actually are.
I say that I am spiritual, what does that mean?
DO I have an authentic faith in Christ?

1 comment:

  1. D,
    This person has a lot of boldness and there is much truth in this. I am glad you posted this. The sad part, the part that isn't preached in most pulpits, is that most 'Christians' leave their 'faith' because they have nothing to hold on to. There is nothing physical for them to see or feel that they are truly Christians. That is what I love about being baptized in the Holy Spirit...the Holy Spirit shows us EXACTLY who He is, what Jesus expects of us, and proves to us that He is real and there is no questioning about spirituality. It is sad that so many people who go to a pastor for the Biblical truth simply get a 'spiritual' experience. Evil spirits can give anyone a 'spiritual' experience but I don't think that is what most people want.
    If you get a chance, read "my story" on my blog (unless you already have). It is posted on the right side under my profile picture. I was a Christian who went to church EVERY Sunday and didn't realize what I was missing until a few years ago. Interesting, long story, but definitely worth a read.
    Hope all is well!!!! I cannot wait to have a play date...and I cannot wait for spring!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete